Thoughts on The Actor Agent Relationship
In no particular order, here they are. These are things I learned at (you guessed it) Williamstown Theatre Festival:
1) Build relationships with casting directors, since they're the ones who typically make the casting decisions on specific projects. Note that casting directors are NOT the same things as agents.
2) You need an agent who allows you to live for your life and works for YOU.
3) Trust your instincts with prospective agents.
4) You will typically have interview with agents before they sign you/
5) If the relationship isn't working and you're not booking work, they do reserve the right to terminate the relationship