6 Months of Inspirational Quotes Part 6
1) "You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lost sight of the shore." -William Faulkner
2) "The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -Alice Walker
3) "You can have results or excuses. Not both." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
4) "To be successful you have to enjoy doing your best while at the same time contributing to something beyond yourself." -Mihaly Csikszentmihaly
5) "Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." -Joshua J Marine
6) "Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible." -Miguel De Unamuno. Here's the thing. Ever since high school friends and acquaintances alike have lamented how unrealistic being on Broadway is. While they were certainly not wrong, it takes a certain amount of blind faith to pursue the path less travelled by (I recognize that there are a lot of actors. What I mean is that compared to a typical 9 to 5 job, trying to make a living as an artist is a less conventional path).
7) "The reason you're suffering is you're focused on yourself." -Tony Robbins
8) "The essence of self-discipline is to do the important thing rather than the urgent thing." -Barry Werner
9) "Not knowing you can't do something is something all it takes to do it." _Ally Carter
10) The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion." -Paulo Coelho
11) "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." -Eleanor Roosevelt. I've marinated on this concept for years, and words can't describe how incredibly liberating I find it. What I take from this quote is that if I'm around people who can't do anything better with their time than gossip, with all due respect, they're probably not my tribe and that's okay.
12) "I cultivate empty space as way of life for the creative process."- Josh Waitzkin
13) "One of the secrets to staying young is to always do things you don't know how to do, to keep learning." -Ruth Reichl
14) "You must want to be a butterfly so badly you are willing to give up being a catterpillar." - Trina Paulus
15) "The rule is: the basics are the basics, and you can't beat the basics."-Charles Poliquin. This has been my approach to (attempting) to maintain decent (with that being the operative world) mental health throughout the pandemic, despite all the anxiety it has caused.
16) "Hard decisions are only hard when you're in the process of making them." -Debbie Millman
17) "The great thing in this world is not so much where you stand, as in what direction you are moving." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
18) "Everyone's looking for rules to follow, and the sooner you realize there aren't any, the better art can be." -Jerrod Carmichael. To be frank, I think my most original work has come from the moments that I attempt to synthesize seemingly disparate things and abandon the so-called rules I was taught in school. For example, I recently wrote a cabaret show called "Living On The Edge," and I found tremendous liberation once I let go of the idea that it had to have a clear beginning, middle and end, particularly since my life doesn't necessarily fit into such a linear structure.
19) "If we can learn to deal with our discomfort and just relax into it we'll have a better life." -Mellody Hobson
20) "Do one thing every day that scares you." -Mary Schmich
21) "When someone tells me "no," it doesn't mean I can't do it, it simply means I can't do it with them." -Karen E. Quinones Miller